Are Laptops Allowed on Planes?
In short, yes, laptops are allowed on planes. You can bring your laptop on board as a carry-on item or in your checked luggage. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when traveling with a laptop.
- Carry-on vs. checked luggage
Most travelers prefer to bring their laptops on board as carry-on items. This is because it is safer to have your laptop with you in case your checked luggage is lost or damaged. However, if you are checking a bag, you can also pack your laptop in your checked luggage.
- Security screening
When you go through security screening, you will need to remove your laptop from your bag and place it in a separate bin for X-ray screening. You may also be asked to power on your laptop so that the TSA officer can see that it is not a threat.
If your laptop has a lithium-ion battery, you are allowed to bring it on board the plane. However, there are some restrictions on the size and number of batteries that you can bring. For example, you are only allowed to bring two spare lithium-ion batteries in your carry-on bag. Each battery must be no larger than 100 watt-hours (Wh).
- Banned laptops
In 2017, the United States government banned laptops from certain airports in the Middle East and North Africa. However, this ban was lifted in 2018. Currently, there are no laptops that are banned from being brought on planes.
Tips for traveling with a laptop
- Back up your data before you travel. This way, if your laptop is lost or stolen, you will not lose your important files.
- Keep your laptop in a protective case or sleeve. This will help to protect it from scratches and damage.
- If you are bringing your laptop in your carry-on bag, make sure that it is easily accessible. This will make it easier to remove it for security screening.
- If you are checking your laptop, be sure to pack it securely in your luggage.
- If you are concerned about your laptop being stolen, you can purchase a laptop lock. This will help to deter thieves.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that your laptop travels safely with you.