3D printing has revolutionized the way of making things. We can now make designs and make manufacture them remotely. Amongst this, 3d printing keychains has become quite popular. What’s better than having a personalized keychain, which is designed by you.
We are going to cover the same. We are going to guide you towards making a personalized keychain. Please go through the same.
STEP 1: Create or Pick a Design For Your Keychain
The best option to getting a 3d printed keychain is just by picking it. Creating a design is a whole new dimension, which we will talk about in another blog.
While picking a design keep a few things in mind:
- Try to avoid small images, if you don’t want your keychain to be grainy.
- Color won’t be coming out in the priny. Know more further.
- Don’t make your designs too complex.
- Copy the link to your desired keychain.
STEP 2: Convert to Vector Graphic
You need to convert the image to a vector graphic to make it 3d. Follow these steps:
- Go to http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-svg
- Paste the earlier copied link.
- Convert your file.
STEP 3: Download the SVG File
The output generated is in the form of SVG.
The download will get started automatically.
STEP 4: Open TinkerCAD
This is the stage where your design gets converted to 3d.
- Go to www.tinkercad.com
- Create a new account or sign in if you have one.
- Open “Create a New Design” on the Home Tab of the website.
STEP 5: Import Files
- Select “import” in the upper right corner.
- Drag the SVG file you previously selected into the box.
- You may need to scale down the files selected by you.
- Click “IMPORT”.
STEP 6: Resize
- Click on the design to reveal its precise measurements in mm while holding the ruler in position.
- Remember, 25mm = 1 inch.
- To move to the left until you are nearly 60, click the bottom right corner, hold SHIFT, and drag.
- Round off the numbers. It’s OK even if they are undesired of your size.
STEP 7: Backing
- If your design has space between it or has separate elements, you need to add support to it.
- It may just be a rectangle of color of your choice.
STEP 8: Adding Keyring Hole
- Drag the orange and gray-striped cylinders into the work plane from the menu bar on the right.
- Resize as : Orange = 5mm x 5mm x 1.8mm, Gray = 3mm x 3mm x 5mm
- Center the cylinders next to one another using the align tool.
- Place the cylinders in the keychain’s upper left corner. Considering that they are already aligned, make sure to move them together.
STEP 9: Group All Parts Together
- The two cylinders, the backing, and the logo are all the components that we have already assembled.
- To combine these into a single object, choose “Group” in the top right corner.
- A finished keychain with a correctly shaped key ring hole should be visible!
STEP 10: Download
- Click “Export” in the top right corner.
- After selecting STL, your file downloads.
STEP 11: Order Online
Online retailers from which you can purchase 3D printed goods abound. Although we think our service is great, you can also use 3D Hubs, Shapeways, and other services.
- Visit voodoomfg.com/direct-print
- Drag your STL document into the order window.
- You’ll receive a price in a flash.
- Complete the checkout process and purchase your first keychain!
- Our sales professionals are happy to assist with high volume pricing if you need hundreds or thousands!
Popular materials for 3D printed keychains include PLA (polylactic acid), ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene), and PETG (polyethylene terephthalate glycol).