Though the Diamondbacks are a formidable club that shouldn’t be disregarded, the Phillies are the clear favorites to win the NLCS. They have the skill to defeat anyone, and they’re playing with a lot of confidence right now.
On Monday night at Chase Field, the Philadelphia Phillies grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 2023 National League Championship Series game against the Arizona Diamondbacks, winning Game 1 5-3.
Kyle Schwarber led off the first inning with a home run, and Bryce Harper added two more to give the Phillies a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first.
Three home runs in the opening two innings gave the Phillies a quick lead. The game began with a single home run by Kyle Schwarber, a two-run home run by Bryce Harper two batters later, and a solo home run by Nick Castellanos in the second inning.
Ketel Marte’s sacrifice fly gave the Diamondbacks a one-run advantage in the third inning, but two more runs were scored by the Phillies in the fourth inning thanks to RBI doubles by Castellanos and J.T. Realmuto.
Alek Thomas’ two-run home ball in the bottom of the sixth inning gave the Diamondbacks two runs, but the Phillies managed to hang on for the win.
The Phillies’ win was significant since it gave them a 1-0 lead in the NLCS series. In the second game, which takes place at Citizens Bank Park on October 17, they will try to extend their lead.
The Phillies are paced by Nick Castellanos, Kyle Schwarber, and Bryce Harper in a potent lineup. Additionally, they have a strong pitching staff that is led by Aaron Nola and Zack Wheeler.
The offensive line of the Diamondbacks, which includes Christian Walker, Ketel Marte, and Corbin Carroll, is young and skilled. They also have a strong pitching staff under the direction of Merrill Kelly and Zac Gallen.
- Kyle Schwarber led off the game with a solo home run, his first of the postseason.
- Bryce Harper followed two batters later with a two-run home run, his second of the postseason.
- Nick Castellanos hit a solo home run in the second inning, his third of the postseason.
- Castellanos also had an RBI double in the fourth inning.
- J.T. Realmuto had an RBI single in the fourth inning.
- Zack Wheeler pitched six innings for the Phillies, allowing three runs on six hits while striking out five batters.
- Seranthony Dominguez pitched the ninth inning for the Phillies, earning his first save of the postseason.
- The Phillies hit three home runs in the first two innings, which helped them jump out to an early lead.
- The Phillies were able to hold on for the victory despite the Diamondbacks scoring two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- The Phillies now have a 1-0 lead in the NLCS.
In Philadelphia’s Citizens Bank Park on Tuesday night, the NLCS’s second game will take place. For the Phillies, Aaron Nola will get the start, while the Diamondbacks’ Zac Gallen will.