The Google Pixel 8 Pro has just gotten a significant upgrade in the form of the new Gemini Nano AI model. This powerful on-device AI chip brings a new level of intelligence to the Pixel 8 Pro, enabling it to perform tasks that were previously only possible in the cloud.
What is Gemini Nano?
Gemini Nano is a small, efficient AI model that is designed to run on mobile devices. It is part of Google’s larger Gemini AI program, which aims to develop AI that can be used on a variety of devices, from smartphones to laptops to smart speakers.
Gemini Nano is based on Google’s Tensor Processing Unit (TPU), which is a custom-designed chip that is optimized for AI workloads. This means that Gemini Nano can run AI tasks much faster and more efficiently than a traditional CPU or GPU.
How is Gemini Nano being used in the Pixel 8 Pro?
Gemini Nano is currently being used to power several features in the Pixel 8 Pro, including:
- Smart Reply in Gboard: Gemini Nano can now suggest high-quality responses to your messages in Gboard, the keyboard app for Pixel phones. This means that you can respond to messages quickly and easily, without having to type anything yourself.
- Summarize in Recorder: Gemini Nano can now summarize your recorded conversations in the Recorder app. This means that you can quickly get a gist of what was said, even if you don’t have time to listen to the entire recording.
- Video Boost: Gemini Nano can now improve the quality of your videos before you upload them to the cloud. This means that your videos will look better, even if you don’t have a fast internet connection.
- Offline features: Gemini Nano allows certain features to work even when you are not connected to the internet. This is a major advantage, as it means that you can still use your Pixel 8 Pro even when you are on the go.
The benefits of on-device AI
On-device AI offers several benefits over cloud-based AI, including:
- Improved privacy: When AI tasks are performed on-device, your data does not need to be sent to the cloud. This means that your data is more secure and private.
- Faster performance: On-device AI tasks can be performed much faster than cloud-based AI tasks. This is because there is no need to wait for data to be uploaded and downloaded.
- Lower power consumption: On-device AI tasks require less power than cloud-based AI tasks. This means that your battery will last longer.
- Improved accessibility: On-device AI allows you to use features even when you are not connected to the internet. This is a major benefit for people who live in areas with poor internet connectivity.
The future of on-device AI
On-device AI is still in its early stages, but it has the potential to revolutionize the way we use our smartphones. With the addition of Gemini Nano, the Pixel 8 Pro is at the forefront of this revolution. As AI models become more powerful and efficient, we can expect to see even more features that are powered by on-device AI in future smartphones.
Overall, the addition of Gemini Nano to the Pixel 8 Pro is a major step forward for on-device AI. This powerful AI model is helping to make smartphones more intelligent, versatile, and secure. With the continued development of on-device AI, we can expect to see even more amazing features in future smartphones.